If you’re planning a business trip to San Francisco Bay, you’re in for a real treat. From food and sightseeing to Segway tours and museums, here are the top 10 things you must do, see, eat and experience while you are in the Bay Area.
1) A mile and a half off the shore of San Francisco, you’ll find Alcatraz, home to some of Americas most dangerous criminals from the 1930s to the 1960s. Creepy, right? Also known as The Rock, Alcatraz is famous for housing felons such as Al Capone. The prison is no longer in operation and is today a very popular tourist destination. Fun fact: though attempts were certainly made, no inmate ever successfully escaped Alcatraz.
2) Looking for a thrill? Head on over to the Golden Gate Bridge, one of the most internationally-recognized symbols of San Francisco and the state of California as a whole. Not only is it one of the seven wonders of the modern world, it is an absolutely beautiful, must-see structure. You can walk it, you can bike it … you just have got to see it!
3) Segways are all the rage right now. One of the best places to utilize them has to be the Bay Area. There are several Segway companies from which to rent, and this is an amazing way to tour the city. Some even take you TO the Golden Gate Bridge. This way you can knock out #2 and #3!
4) Calling all football fans! The San Francisco 49ers call Levis Stadium home. Levis Stadium is in Santa Clara, a suburb of San Jose in the San Francisco Bay Area. While in San Francisco, why not catch a game at the home field?
5) Not a football fan? Take yourself out to the ball game! The San Francisco giants, once known as the New York Gothams, moved to San Francisco in 1958. AT&T Park opened in 2000 and is a great place for baseball fans, tourists, travelers, etc.
6) Traveling means its time to try new things! When in San Francisco, you have the option of many different types of food – Italian, Chinese, Thai. Why not try Greek? Kokkari Estiatorio is taverna-inspired cuisine with everything from grilled octopus and lamb burgers to papio manti and gigantes. Craving sushi? Head on over to Ino Sushi in Japantown for the freshest fish in the city!
7) Pier 39: Amazing views, packs of sea lions, delicious foods and California wines – what else could you want? Your visit to San Francisco has to include Pier 39! One of the most popular destinations in San Francisco, Pier 39 offers two levels of dining, entertainment, shopping and attractions, all surrounded by unbeatable views of the city and the bay. Here, you can enjoy views of the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges, Alcatraz, Angel Island and the famous city skyline.
8) The Exploratorium is a newly renovated museum on Pier 15 on the Embarcadero at the heart of the waterfront. Now open for your exploring entertainment, it’s a hands-on museum that ignites curiosity and inspiration in people of all ages and backgrounds. This place will bring your inner child out! With more than 600 hands-on exhibits and breathtaking views of the city, you have to put this on your San Francisco Bay bucket list.
9) Take a ride on the cable cars! For just a couple of bucks, you can take a tour of the beautiful San Francisco area on an officially designated historic landmark. These cable cars are a relic of the pre-automotive age and only travel up to about 9 miles per hour. Want a thrill? Hang off the side and feel the salty California air whip across your face! You’ll feel like a true movie star and you may even get a bell-ringing serenade from the conductor or cheers from passers by.
10) You can go to a zoo in almost any major city in America, but how many zoos have you been to that house more than 1,000 endangered and rescued animals? The San Francisco Zoo and Garden represents 250 species all living across 100 acres of beautiful, peaceful gardens along the pristine Pacific coastline. From Chinese fire-bellied newts, kookaburras and black widow spiders to chimpanzees, polar bears and poison dart frogs, this zoo truly has it all!
Need a temporary home away from home in the Bay Area? Check our guide to corporate housing in San Francisco to find the perfect place.